Final Exam Arch
About this deck
Size: 124 flashcards
Sign up (free) to study this.
narrow notch (Men) wide notch (women) on rear side of the pelvis
first bone to decay
- tend to be more robust then female skulls.
- have heavier brow ridges over the eye
- have more rugged muscle attachments
- squarer chins and eye orbits
- Narrower notches then females
- Tooth crown eruption
- bone fusion
- Bone wear (after age 30 bones begin to wear down)
- Degree of tooth wear and loss. (caution is required because the rate of the tooth wear is strong related to diet)
- Every single adult skeleton in theStillwater
- The femur cross sections andpatterns in osteoarthritis indicated that the people living at Stillwater Marshwalked a great deal to make a successful living.
The Stillwater Mortality Profile
- Mortality of newborns and toddlers is very high among hunting andgathering populations
- The female morality profile shows an increase in deaths in the earlychild-bearing years; common for foraging populations
- Few individuals are assigned to the 46-50 and 50+ age category.
contains roughly as many valued positions as there are persons capable of filling them.
recognizes status on the basis of gender and age.
-mother & father, their children & grandparents
possibly the father’s unmarried adultsiblings
· social and economic roles were assignedaccording to gender and age.
functioned as peace pipes functioned historically.
helped maintain relationships between communities, reducing regional differences and promoting contact and communication.
Upland people using symbols from lowland areas
Power of the forest
- jump to symbol to meaning
- circular reasoning
- not held up as more caves were discovered
- drew upon his own culture rather from the ancient people's culture
- one thing did not stand for "male" or "female"
- firmly grounded in middle level theory
- is evidence of shamanic traces
- elements of uniformitarianism
- located in Europe
- discovered by schoolboys in 1940
- farther you go into the cave the more abstract the images get
- postprocessual slant to it
- hidden history
- Correcting inaccuracies
- reexamining history
Historical archaeologists tend not to study large-scale processes; the high degree of temporal resolution in historic sites often leads investigators to focus on specific events or individuals.
Because historical archaeology deals with the relatively recent past, and all the cultural, political, and ethical challenges therein, it is often emotionally charged.
- The layout of the city itself
- The formal gardens of wealthy households.
- Use of optical illusions in landscape architecture to manipulate view and control perspective.
Clovis and the First Americans?
People came to the Americas via a land bridge in Asia
- Clovis points – time marker, approx. 14,000 years ago
- Clovis people were through to be the first and only migration
Two major problemswith the interpretation that the Clovis people were the first Americans:
Some archaeological sites may predate Clovis(ex. Monte Verde)
Earliest human skeletons in the new world aredifferent from later native Americans
The garbage project
Tuscon, AZ an urban community whose population was slightlyover 360,000, Archaeology was used to explore 9 landfills across the US
started by William Rathje
paper takes up 40-50% of volume in landfills
people drank more beer then they admitted to drinking
- requires federal permits before excavating or collecting artifacts on federal land
- establishes a permitting process
- gave the president the authority to create national monuments
- the national register of historic places
- the advisory council on historic preservation
- state historic preservation office
- a process to mitigate the impact of development
- prohibits the excavation or removal of artifacts from federal property without a permit
- prohibits sale, exchange, or transport of artifacts acquired illegally
- increased penalties for violations of the act over those of the antiquities act
- mandated inventory of institutions' human skeletal remains
- required that institutions consult with tribes
- gave native americans a large role in dispassion of artifacts and skeletal remains
About this deck
Size: 124 flashcards