· Understand their motivation for doing the interview before asking.
Why someone would give an interview
· They have been burned by an interview before: tell them they can check quotes before publication.
· They don’t have time: what time would be convenient for you, im available at any time.
· You’re a college student: say your getting published, don’t call it an interview just say I want tto talk about.
· Time: Source has the right to expect a reasonable amount of time to respond to your questions.
· Sources can expect a fair listening from you
· Sources have a right to say no when your line of questioning would get them in trouble.