· Moving from one location to another, alternating places of study are important for memorization
· Studying distinct but related material creates a deeper impression on the brain than does concentrating on the same skill the entire time.
· Spacing : studying a little bit each day, and a little later in the week improves later recall of material, without the need for more attention.
· believed that a person should read a page and repeat to themselves exactly what they read in order to actually understand it and remember it.
do people freely choose to behave as they do or do powerful forces drive behavior—forces that cannot be controlled
to what degree are our tendencies and differences among people are due to heredity versus the environment?
founded by William James; concerned with how mental processes influence behavior and how they help the organisms adapt and function more effectively
concerned with processes of perception; wanted to understand how the mind took the separate aspects of experience and distilled them into unified groups of information
research done in psychology to expand the knowledge base in the science
research is done to address practical issues related to behavior and experience
· 1. Get a good method
· 2. Get good baselines
· 3. Collect Results
· 4. Dream up hypothesis (theory, model)- must be testable
· 5. Test Hypothesis with further experiments
Scientific method gives assumptions, perspectives, and procedures
Scientists look for correlations, they do not always prove to be correct, different things can cause the same outcome.
Different methods, different results
goal is to predict how one variable will be influenced by change in anotherallows researchers to make cause-effect conclusions about relationships between variables.
the that that is applied, changed, and manipulated, the thing that is causing the effect. medication
the outcome measured after the manipulation of the independent variable , the anxiety after medication
a horse at the turn of the century who was taught to understand language and be able to do simple math, it was found that the trainer gave the house subtle clues which led the animal to respond appropriately.Von Osten did this study
The Hat/Shoe experiment
a psychologist showed the autistic child a picture of a hat and the adult helper of a shoe and the child spelled shoe.
· Describe how it works
· Predict what it will do in certain situations
· Build one
-helicopter- maybe the rotor gives it motion and lift. prediction and description needed to understand
if you cant predict then you don't understand.
blends genetics with psychology to attempt study and predict the influence of heredity on behavior