What were the three important focuses of Italian Renaissance Humanism?
1) Recovery and study of Greek and Rome art, literature and learning
2) Interest in the individual and in classical learning to become better humans
3) Interest in science- rational design, harmony
What is rilievo schiaccato? What does this form of relief accomplish?
“Squished relief” – carved at different depths
Some things are flatter (farther away)
1) Life sized sculptures like the Venus Medici or the Spinario
2) Coins and Cameos- If their patrons allowed them to study them (super expensive)
3) Ancient Roman Sarcophagi (stone coffins used to house dead bodies) very plentiful
To stand against (standing the way average people stand)- leaned to one leg
What is the definition of one point perspective? Who were the men who invented & disseminated one point perspective?
Venus Pudica , Early 3rd. C. B.C.- Inspired the positioning of Eve
What kinds of ancient Roman buildings did Alberti in designing Sant’ Andrea & how?
The side aisles uses 4 barrel vaults, exact size and layout of:Basilica of Maxentius and Constantine, 306 CE
How is Botticelli’s Primivera an excellent example of the influence of humanism in the 15th century Renaissance art? How did he emulate ancient Greek and Roman culture?
Title: Saint George
Patron: Guild of Armored Sword Makers
Location: Orsanmichele, Florence
Location: Medici Palace courtyard
Title: The Expulsion from Paradise
Location: Brancacci Chapel
Patron: Felice Brancacci
Artist: Leon Battista Alberti
Patron: Ludovico Gonzaga
Location: Patron's Bedroom
Patron: Lorenzo di Pierfrancesco de’ Medici
tempera on panel