- Some people are worried that using antibiotic resistance genes as marker genes may increase the number of antibiotic resistant pathogenic microorganisms
- Environmentalists are worried that GM crops (like Golden Rice) may encourage farmers to carry out monoculture (where only one type of crop is planted). This decreases biodiversity and could leave crops vulnerable to disease because all the plants are genetically identical.
- Some people are worried that genetically engineering animals for xenotransplantation may cause them suffering.
- Some people are concerned about the possibility of ‘super weeds’- weeds that are resistant to herbicides because they’ve bred with genetically engineered herbicide-resistant crops
- Some people are concerned that large biotechnology companies may use GM crops to exploit farmers in poor countries- e.g. by selling them crops that they can’t afford.
- Some people worry humans will be genetically engineered (e.g. To be more intelligent), creating a genetic underclass- illegal.
Find study materials for any course. Check these out:
Browse by school
Make your own