Last Modified: 2011-07-06
Related Textbooks:Core Concepts in Cultural Anthropology
- humans live every where (exception Antarctica)
- distribution of other animals
- humans are diverse
- in the artic, humans are short and stocky
- pigmentation of the skin
- Himalayans have very large chests
- genetic : instantaneous at conception, isn’t developed
- developmental : is developed over time
- cultural : people are aware of the changes
- pigmentation (genes that grow melanin)
- differ from other primates (hirsute - a body covered with hair) because we...
- (vitamin B) is destroyed by ultra violet radiation, leads to deformities...
- solar radiation isn’t as big of a problem in places such as Africa, dark...
- malaria (ss) – “the queen of diseases”, one of the leading causes of...
- among African derived Americans in the 1950s, 20% had Ss, now it is at 5%
- hypoxic stress – failed pregnancies; high altitudes - large lungs, muscular heart
- Sherpa/Inuit – vasodilation and vasoconstriction; recorded skin temperatures when hands were immerged into freezing water – volunteers went gradually downward, the Sherpa and Inuits were in the form of a Lewis Wave
- Aztec – standard procedure for the treatment of open wounds was to pack the wound and apply honey; honey reduces the isostatic pressure around the cell wall until it ruptures and kills the bacteria
- houses built on stilts – helped to prevent malaria, the houses were above the height flight of the mosquitoes
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"