2Midterms: Major components of Climate System
- University of California - Los Angeles
- Environmental Geography
- Environmental Geography M106
- 2Midterms: Major components of Climate System
Last Modified: 2011-06-26
- Inert gases: Oxygen, Nitrogen,etc
- H2O is in low troposphere
- 03 is in middle stratosphere
- CO2 is well mixed below mesosphere
- Provides oxygen
- Controls energy
- Distributes heat and moisture, and other materials such as pollutants.
- solar radiation
- topography- distance to sea/underlying surface (vegetation)
- atmospheric composition (CO2 amount), instabilities, general circultion
- mainly ocean, but includes all water in liquid phase distributed on the earth
- stores enormous energy
- days-weeks (fast response)
Ocean (slow response)
- Upper mixed layer (100m): weeks-months
- Thermocline (several hundred meters depth): seasons
- Deep Ocean : centuries/millennia
- large masses of snow and ice of the earth's surface. (Represents the largest reservoir of fresh water o earth)
- high albedo and low thermal conductivity
- long scales of time 10,000's yrs=> glacial periods------Glaciers
- snow varies seasonally-------Ice sheets
- Ice sheets do not vary rapidly
- includes continents whose topography affect air motions and ocean floor
- excluding upper active layer-lithosphere has longest response time
- terrestrial vegetation (alters surface roughness, albedo, evaporation, precipitation, runoff, etc)
- influence CO2 balance in atmosphere/oceans through photosynthesis and respiration
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"