anatomy lecture 2 and 3
Last Modified: 2016-03-08
- hair-like structures that move fluid/mucus along epithelial surface
- larger than microvilli - can be seen w/most microscopes
- smaller than cilia, appears as 'brush border' Short, non-motile
- Purpose: Increased surface area (think gut)
- Intestine and proximal convoluted tubule of kidney
- Produced by epithelial cells in skin
- provides waterproofing and protection
- without it, skin oozes - think of oozing scabs.
- cells don't have nuclei and don't have much of a shape
- skin, integument
- epidermis = epithelial tissue
- dermis = connective tissue
- pseudostratified columnar epithelium with goblet cells and cilia (sitting on basal lamina) + CT (lamina propria)
- Line hollow organs - GI, REsp, Urinary, and reprod. tracts
- from the endoderm
- simple squamous epithelium on a basal lamina + CT
- lines the body cavities, blood vessels and heart
- covers the visceral organs
- from the mesoderm
- serous membrane
- simple squamous epithelium from mesoderm
- found lining the inside of all blood vessels and the heart
- Simple squamous epithelium from mesoderm
- found lining body cavities = parietal mesothelium
- found covering visceral organs = visceral mesothelium
- Paricardium, perituneum, pleura
- protect against uv light, abrasion, dehydration, pathogens
- Thermoregulation BV's and adipose tissue
- sensation - touch receptors
- metabolism - fat cells, vitamin D synthesis
- ratios of yellow, reddish, tan, brown and black
- produced by melanocytes and transferred to keratinocytes
- stratified squamous keratinized epithelium
- water barrier
- hydrophobic drugs delivered by patch
- primary cell type is kartinocyte
- Middle layer
- connective tissue - areolar and dense irregular
- contains BV's, sensory receptors etc.
- the hide that is tanned into leather
- tattoos are here
- Papillary layer
- Reticular layer
- Outermost Layer; dead keratinized cells (lack nuclei)
- Protects the underlying cells and minimizes water lost.
- Composed of 25 or more layers of dead squamous cells joined by desmosomes.
lucidum means clear, only found in thick skin in the palms of hands and soles of feet: skin without hair follicles.
- most numerous
- controlled by nervous system
- located axillary, areolar, anal, pubic regions
- controlled by hormones
- Mammary glands - are specialized, modified apocrine sweat glands.
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"