Last Modified: 2013-02-25
typically on lithography
What is gesso?
- clay model
- clay master mold
- wax into molds - hollow wax model
- clay around wax model
- liquid clay
- molten bronze replaces wax
- Metal pins hold the investment, casting, and channels in place.
- color woodblock print with mica
from the series Ten Physiognomies of Women
- Utamaro captures the woman's fickleness by having her glance over her shoulder as she returns from the bath, evidently hoping to catch the interested eye of her suitor
- Mary Cassatt
- ridge metal(burr) is pushed up along each side of the line, giving rich velvety texter to print when inked
- softness of line generated by drypoint process
Lithograph - smooth surface form of print made by using a flat stone
alternative to romanticism
uses fact as a precise weapon
best known for caricatures
Found terracotta - natural clay life-sized figures of humans
Thousands (8000) of sculptured soldiers beneath site so that Shi Huangdi can continue in the after life - all different
Palaces on all 4 gates
“Abstracted realism,” realistic, but distorted ina way to bring out emotion of a story. Commission to honor the 100 Years War. The 6 leadersof Calais gave their lives for the safety of their city. Unidealized, ugly, gross, emotional, realistic. Showed tragedy of the event by depicting tragiclook. Depicted as heroic, weak,distorted, tortured, bound, wearing nooses. Expressive hands. Welded together from several pieces. Bronze.
A masonry roof constructed on the arch principle and consisting of two barrel vaults intersecting at right angles to one another. Ribs reinforce major points of intersection.
- weight of structure is suspended from steel cables supported on vertical pylons driven into the ground
- Golden Gate Bridge
- Mississippian, Ohio
- ca. 1070 CE
- ephigy mounds-look like animals
- quarter of a mile in length
- snake associated with fertility, earth, and production of crops
- .They are low fired earthenware covered with slip(dilute clay). slip matte. Dung smoke blackens clay.
- Buckminister Fuller (developed by)
- bubble, formed by network of rods in arrangement of triangles and organized in tetrahedrons
- Large interior space with no supporting walls.
- Speeds up completion of the outer shell
- Long studs required that go from foundation to roof
- Chimney effect creates fire hazard - fire stops required
an architectural support systemwhere horizontal members jut out into space and are supported at one endonly. These members are counterbalancedby weight on the interior. A crane usesthe same basic properties to support weight and carry a load.
Retained heat from fires.
Unicorn represents females.
Pomegranate tree is a symbol for fertility—reinforces idea of female virginity.
- made by needlework
- embroidered muslin textiles that were used as wrappings for gifts
- variation on post-and-lintel construction
- distributes weight from above curved lintel down onto support posts
- doric order
Date: 1st c. BCE
aqueduct used to bring water into the city mastered by Romans
- Roman Art: High Empire 2nd Century AD
- Rome, Imperial Rome, Constantine the Great. concrete with marble veneer, Corinthian order
- Large dome at top called the eye or only souce of light. dedicated to all the gods, built with coffer celling shunk in celling to lighten load.
- columns, largest free standing dome, worried about roof collapsing. created indentations on roof. supported by concrete walls (cylinders), circle of dome is sign of unification of sky gods.
Which of the following formed a crossing section that intersected the nave at the apse end of the basic church building? –
used to bear loads in an arched or vaulted structure
nthe process of pasting or gluing fragments of printed matter, fabric, natural material, onto a two-dimensional surface
Portraits of Sarah Bernhardt, collodion negative,
- Frank Gehry
- won comp to design building in 91
- searched for form-doodles are explorations that are close to finished buildings
- fuiodity of lines,flowing ovement along riverfront space
create beauty and highlight materials
- funery complex
- built over the course of 75 years
- 4 sides oriented w/ the compass
- funery temples face sun to connect w/ Ra
- complex was king's palace in afterlife
- Tempera on Wood
- for Medicci wedding
Left: Mercury (protector figure)
- probably virgin women
Right: Zephras (wind god)
-Zephras rapes girl spirit with flowers coming out of her mouth
- she turns into civilized woman Primavera
Middle: Venus w/ baby Cupid over head (wearing colors red, blue like Mary always has)
- Winslow Homer
- play between transparent and opaque
- wall and sky are transparent washes
- speaks of divided social world of the bahamas at the turn of the century.islands given over to tourism
- Judith F. Baca
- Acrylic on concrete
- 13 feet high
- Chicano life divided by te freeway
- Woman protests the building of Dodger Stadium
- 400 inner city youth created i.Grafitti materials.
the only figure to be developed is getting his shoes shined.
- this daguerrotype was taken from the roof of the building that housed his diorama attraction
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"