1. You need to allocate attention appropriately
2. Because it is limited, you cannot do everything at once.
Different types of distractions
Distractions from within and distractions from without (Sudden high intensity stimulus) (loud boombox)
1. ignore distracting stimuli
2. habituate (continued amount of exposure will reduce the amount of attention that is needed)
3. you can admit some things and not others.
You seek mental processes that are consistent with what you want to think about (finals)
Monitoring processes- searches for mental content that you are not supposed to think about. (lady gaga sounds)
you must maintain focus.
You just do something with so much attention so many times that you go on autopilot with the material. (shriffin and schnieder with the cards). There is little or no error
What did spelke hirst and Neisser try to study?
2. read stories while they took dictation
3. developed automaticity
Reading is ________ and therefore happens without __________
"The semester I found StudyBlue, I went from a 2.8 to a 3.8, and graduated with honors!"Jennifer Colorado School of Mines