Painful conditions occurring in and around tendons in the lower limbs in response to overuse.
Common Examples of Lower Limb Tendinopathies
1. Achilles tendinitis
2. Patellar tendinitis
3. Plantar fasciitis
- Attaches to calcaneus
- Plantar flex - calf muscle tighten
- Frequent jumping activity eg basketball
- Constant pushing off foot eg running or dancing
- AKA jumper knee - Pain in anterior knee, at the attachment to patella (lower pole)
- Overuse injury on extensor mechanism involving quadriceps muscle and patellar tendon
- Athletes eg. basketball, volleyball, soccer
Pathology of Patellar Tendinitis
It occurs when repeated stress is placed on patellar tendon. The stress results in tiny tears in the tendon, which the body attempts to repair. But as the tears in the tendon become more numerous, they cause pain from inflammation and a weakening of the tendon structure.
Inflammation of the plantar fascia on the sole of the foot.
Same pathology as patellar tendinitis: microtears > healing.
Sign up for free and study better. Anytime, anywhere.
Get started today!
Find materials for your class:
Download our app to study better. Anytime, anywhere.