Book of Mormon Final
Last Modified: 2011-12-13
- Show to the house of Israel the things the Lord did for their fathers (family)
- To know the covenants of the Lord
- Also convince that Jesus is the Christ/That all may come to christ
-Nephi’s purpose in keeping the plates: To persuade men to come unto the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob
2. Pray for Mercy of God
3. Tree/Jesus Christ
5. Want to share
-Tree - Christ/God
-Fruit of Tree - love of God-Rod of Iron - Word of God
-Straight and narrow path - Word of God
-Fountain of living water - love of God
River/fountain of filthy water - depths of hell
-Mist of darkness - temptations of the Devil
-Great and spacious building - Pride of men
2. Clinging to the rod, tasted of fruit but were ashamed when Spacious building persons mocked them and so they left the tree.
3. Continually holding fast to the rod, made it to tree.
4. Rejected the rod and tree; felt their way to great & spacious building.
- 1Chapter 11 - Christ in the Old World
- Chapter 12 - Christ in the New World
- Chapter 13 - Apostasy and Restoration/ Abominable Church (literal)
- Chapter 14 - Last Days/ Abominable Church (symbolic)
- Chapter 15 - Gathering of Israel
The Father: came down to Earth in order to create Jesus Christ (condescended to Mary a mortal)
The Son: came down to the earth and was half mortal half god. Subjected himself to wicked men and to a mortal existence.
-problems the nephites faced: the pride cycle, temptation, then they were overpowered
-fighting within church
-take out plain and precious parts of the gospel
-The Lord sends other books like the Book of Mormon, the D&C and Pearl of Great Price to restore plain and precious
The Lamanites will be gathered by the Gentiles through the holy ghost
The Jews will be gathered through the Gentiles (in the millennium)
-focus on whats going on now in the present. Nephi always focused on the good things that are happening now, while Laman and Lemuel constantly looked back, murmuring about what they had lost. (What’s important now-WIN) ALSO, shown in the broken bow incident (this was on the quiz!)
-Feel, follow, trust
Gathering of Israel- when they turned their hearts to God and accepted Christ; also, to build a temple
2) liken it unto yourself for your own profit and learning
3) have hope
Chap 20 (Isaiah 48): Jews
-pass through the furnace of affliction
-were stubborn and rebellious
Chap 21(Isaiah 49): Gentiles
-set up my standard: setting up the church
-mighty nation will come forth: US
-marvelous work will begin: church formed
-we wouldn’t be able to be here without the fall. we wouldn’t have joy because there was no misery.
-we wouldnt have our agency to choose or our knowledge to grow
Joseph Smith- choice seer
-knowledge of covenants
-like unto Moses
-bring forth my word
-named after his father and Joseph in Egypt
problem: sin/flesh - way Satan gets to us through temptation
solution: pray, ministry of angels, spirit, testimony
problem: anger - why is my flesh still so weak, still giving into temptation
solution: repent, rejoice to overcome weaknesses
problem: Lord, will you help me?
solution: yes if you ask not amiss, know what you are asking for with a sincere heart
Work, labor, industriousness
Brass Plates (scriptures)
No King (liberty)
False Traditions: took away the ruling
robbed the records
you departed from us
× Understand the three purposes for the Book of Mormon (see the title page) and why the order that they are listed is important.
2. Know the covenants of the Lord. NOT cast off forever.
3. Jesus is the Christ the eternal God!
-The order is important because we wouldn’t know Jesus is the Christ without our family and covenants.
2. Keystone of our doctrine
3. Keystone of our testimonies and our lives
other plates: large and secular plates
us: the gentiles
Gathering: When then hearts are turned towards God.
2 Nephi 3 - Lehi to Joseph (prophesies of Joseph Smith)
See Quiz 2 study guide for explanation of 2 Nephi 2
1) Isaiah is a Jew talking about his day and ours (manner of prophesying among Jews - Dual prophecy)
2) Make use of those that are filled with the spirit of prophesy
3) we live in the day of their fulfillment and will understand as they are fulfilled
-Problem: still looking for Messiah
-Problem: sell themselves for naught, pride, choose darkness rather than light.
-Problem: Pride, secret combinations, priestcrafts, all manner of iniquity
Solution to all: BOOK OF MORMON
-Teach with learning/deny the Holy Ghost
-Deny power of God: He has already done His work and given his power to men
-Not a God of miracles
-Eat, drink, and be merry; we are “saved” anyway (he will beat us with a few stripes)
Doctrine of Devil
-Pacify, carnal security
-Flatter (“no hell”)
- All is well in Zion
Jacob 4-6: Allegory of Zenos
Jacob 7: Sharom- Anti-Christ
-racism against Lamanites, reviling against them for color of their skin
Olive Tree= House of Israel
Master= Jesus Christ
Wild branches= Gentiles
The field= The World
-Old Testament time: vs. 1-15
-New Testament time and Book of Mormon: vs. 16-29
-Great Apostasy: vs. 30-50
-Restoration Time: vs. 51-77
We learn that the Lord and his servants are caring and patient, that prophets plead for us, that the Lord and his prophets love us and work hard for us, that the Lord is forgiving. Repent today, harden not hearts.
-sunk deep, hunger for it, meaningful prayer, determined day and night, faith, no more guilt. You must receive a remission of sins before you love others
-Formula to increase charity: Love for yourself (repentance), Love for Family/Brethren, Love for Enemies.
-denied being of creator
Become-Saint (Like Christ) by becoming as a child
· Kings in the Land of Nephi: Zeniff, King Noah, King Limhi – Alma serves as high priest because he refuses to be King.
· These evil traditions are repeated over 400 years
· “Type”: Person, place or thing that is an example of something bigger that is to come.
· Children of Israel released from Egypt. God sent them to Mt. Sinai to get the Law of Christ. They couldn’t do it so God gave them the “half-step” of the Law of Moses.
- Missions – only two years
- Priesthood – Aaronic/Melchizedek
- Companionship on a mission prepares you for Marriage
· This passage is NOT about the Godhead
· God (Eloheim) Gave Jesus His power, but Jesus is also flesh (son) because he was born of Mary.
· Jehovah and Jesus are ONE God/same God.
- 1. He is the Father of the Earth, by creation
- 2. He is the Father of our Salvation, through Spiritual rebirth
- 3. Divine Investiture of Authority: Jesus can talk as if He is God.
· 9-10: Testimony against them and will not deny anything he has said, even on threat of death
· 11-12: Noah to Abinadi as Pilat is to Christ (almost let him go, but for the word of the people/priest)
· 1st promise: bear each other’s burdens
· 2nd promise: Mourn, comfort, stand as a witness at all times, in all things, and in all places.
· God’s promise to them: “I will pour out my Spirit upon you.” This, in turn, helps us keep our side of the covenant.
· The two bondages: Limhi’s people held in bondage by the Lamanites. Amulon (ex-priest of king Noah.) of the Lamanites holds Alma’s people in bondage.
· The two deliverances: Limhi’s people are sorely afflicted (went up to battle 3 times, were defeated 3 times) because they relied on their own strength first, and so they are compelled to be humble.
· Limhi’s people: depended on their own strength, compelled to be humble, ease their burdens “by degrees,” woe is me, no covenants.
Because of their pride, the Lord was slow to hear the cries of Limhi’s people and they had to wait to be delivered. The people of Alma were faithful and humble, so they were delivered the day after Amulon started to put guards over them and punish them for praying
· 4 problems in Zarahemla:
- 1. Rising Generation
- 2. Transgression (members sinning): Disciplinary Councils – 3 reasons: Saves souls, protects the innocent, protects the good name of the Church.
- 3. Persecution: more problems within the church than without
- 4. Apostasy
· Become like Christ: lifetime process
· We must repent, endure to the end, and listen to the Spirit
· Alma wore two hats: chief judge and high priest
· In the Church: priestcrafts, Nehor kills Gideon. Outside the Church: Persecution/ Alma 1:19
· In the Government: Amlici tries to become king. They experience a Civil war. Outside the government: the Amlicites and the Lamanites have a war against the Nephites.
· Priestcraft characteristics: popular, supported by the people, Pride, costly apparel, false doctrine for honor and riches, loved vain things of the world, Persecute others
· Priesthood characteristics: humility, impart the word of God without money or price, All equal in the sight of God, Impart their substance to the poor, neat and comely, help others in the church and outside the church.
In order to gain eternal life:
Washed = Baptism
and cleansed from stain
Stain = Sin
Alma 8:14-16 Example: angel visits Alma when he was discouraged about the wickedness of the people of Ammonihah; tells him to have faith and return to the city, which later leads to success
When & Where? In the first place. (Pre-Mortal Existence)
Why? To Teach the Gospel
What?Faith, Repentance, Righteousness
vs. 15-17 they were persecuted and spit upon, but answered nothing
xxxxx vs. 18-19 3 Days (time Amulek and Alma were imprisoned, time Christ was dead)
vs. 20-22 Mocking and spit upon, asked why they did not deliver themselves
vs. 26-28 cords broken (analogous to how Christ “broke” the bonds of death), prison destroyed/earthquakes (earth shook when Christ died). Not hurt (Christ came out of tomb unharmed).
Departed from us/ I will stay, perhaps until I die
Ruler over us/ I will be a servant
Stole the Brass plates/ taught them all of the scriptures
Converted King Lamoni and much of his kingdom
Aaron, Omner & Himni get put in jail in Middoni. Ammon goes and gets them out with King Lamoni. They then convert King Lamoni’s father and he offers half of his kingdom.
A People- Joy = REPENT
A King- Formula for Joy- Pray + Repent = Joy
How to keep converts coming to church
-Sheaves = Converts
If you get to the garners, the storm cannot beat upon you like it could otherwise. There is a power there.
Get converts (and yourself) to the temple so that they may not be wasted.
Search scriptures diligently
Much fasting & prayer
Teach with power & authority
You have to have the Holy Ghost to do so (be worthy)
Sound understanding of the Gospel
You will have many afflictions
You will grow like you’ve never grown before.
Be an instrument in the hands of the Lord
By following the Holy Ghost
You must have Patience
Lead by good example
Blessed / Be Set Apart
Need to have physical strength
Keep it simple
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"