· Origin: Formed from mesenchyme during 5th week of development.
· Importanceo Specialized connective tissue
· Avascular: Nutrition by diffusion. Difficulty of regeneration.
· Growth: Appositional (from surface) & Interstitial (from the inside).
· Poor ability for regeneration. Usually occurs with formation of fibrous scar.o Collagen lays down lots of fibroblasts into tear in cartilage and seals it to make scar rather than regrow cartilage.
· Mineralized extracellular matrix.
· One of hardest tissues in body.
· Formed by collagen fibers, ground substance, and cells.
· Withstands compression, deformation, and stress
· Diffusion limited due to mineralized ECM.
· Vascular tissue w/ blood and lymph vessels running through ito Heals faster than cartilage.
"The semester I found StudyBlue, I went from a 2.8 to a 3.8, and graduated with honors!"Jennifer Colorado School of Mines