Ch. 6 (CAW)
- Illinois State University
- Criminal Justice & Sociology
- Criminal Justice & Sociology 102
- Ch. 6 (CAW)
Last Modified: 2011-11-08
Related Textbooks:Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide
What are some of the consequences of using child soldiers for conflicts around the world?
· Child soldiers increases the possibility of more rebellions and wars. The conflicts are also messier.
· Because the wars are easier to start, harder to end, and greater in loss of life.
Why does the problem of weak or failed states in other parts of the world matter to the U.S.?
· Because the U.S. has great economic investments in Africa and the Middle east (where we get OIL & resources from). Also, these failed states tend to lead to more terrorist groups.
Why does the use of child soldiers mean longer wars?
· As conflict drags on more and more children are recruited
How is violence, which is part of all wars, effected by the use of child soldiers?
· They are easily manipulated and do more malicious things.
· Because they get suspicious of ANY child they see, and think they too are the “enemy”. It ends up in killings of children who have nothing to do with the war.
Why would units of child soldiers target civilians?
· They are less likely to offer legitimate resistanceo Also for organizational growth
What forms of sexual abuse seem to be present in groups that use child soldiers, and what purposes are served by sexual abuse?
· It’s used as a strategic weapon. When someone is sexually abused in a village it can ruin the village. Also, rape is used as a reward for the newer soldiers who do something good.
· Their lives are considered to be less valuable than those around them. They are also used just so the army has “numbers”.
How do the number of deaths of child soldiers in combat compare with the number of deaths in adult combat units?
· Way more children are killed than adults
· These violent experiences will help to color their choices, opinions, & perspectives for the rest of their lives.
Why might a declaration of peace in one country lead to war in neighboring countries?
· Because the child soldiers just want to FIGHT
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"