Ch. 6: Ethnicity and Race
Last Modified: 2012-03-29
Related Textbooks:Cultural Anthropology: Appreciating Cultural Diversity
dentification with, and feeling apart of, an ethnic groupand exclusion from certain other groups because of this affiliation.
- NOT biological
- physical characteristics
- Minorities moving to foreign countries adopt the patterns and norms of the host culture
- Barth defines it as a society combining ethnic contrasts, ecological specializations and the economic interdependence of those groups.
- This view encourages the practice of cultural-ethnic traditions
- Seeks ways for people to understand and interact that don't depend on sameness but rather on respect for differences
- Basques face the same pressures all minority languages do: knowledge of the national language (spanish or french) is essential.
- 1950's, disaffected Basque youths founded ETA ("Basque Country and Freedom") It's goal was to complete independence from Spain.
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"