Chap 1 Review
Last Modified: 2011-07-14
Related Textbooks:Comparative Politics Today: A World View, Update Edition (9th Edition) (MyPoliSciKit Series)
- State: a particular type of political system that has sovereignty
- State of Nature: the condition of human kind if no government existed
- Totalitarian Systems: Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union under Stalin or North Korea; systems in which the government constricts the rights and privacy of its citizens in a particularly severe and intrusive manner
- United Nations (UN):formed at the end of WWII in 1945; peacekeepers: separate combatants in domestic and international conflicts, settle disputes, and form effective governing institutions; world security; diminishes the sovereignty of states
- authoritarian systems: lack one or several of the defining features of democracy such as that democracies have competitive elections in which the citizens have the chance to shape the policymaking process through their choice of policy makers whereas in authoritarian systems the policymakers are chosen by military councils, hereditary families, dominant political parties, and the like; citizens are either ignored of pressed into assent
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"