Chapter 11: East Asia
Last Modified: 2016-03-08
- historically unified culture
- politically and ideologically divided
- North Korea has adopted a path of self-sufficiency
- problems with famine & malnutrition
- flooding & typhoons
- improved relations between China & US
- nuclear capability of North Korea
- intertwined corporate economies
- tight connection between employers & employees
- high cost of living
- Taiwan & Hong Kong
- both have higher per capita GDP levels than South Korea
- govt-guided economic development in Taiwan
- Laissez-faire in HK- market freedom w/ little govt. control
- 1960s program of export-led economic growth in SK
- shift from inexpensive consumer goods to heavy industrial products to high-tech equip.
- 1443...King Sejong invented "Hangeul" (Korean Alphabet)
- exclusively used in both N/S Korea
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"