- University of Tennessee - Knoxville
- Psychology 110
- Chapter 11
Last Modified: 2011-07-02
about various aspects
There are too many traits in the big five. should be three.
– People become more conscientious and become less
extraverted, neurotic, and open to experience as they
vague statements about our personalities
interpreted a certain way
times a week.
2. I have the time of my life at • Paranoia
3. There are evil people trying • Extraversion
to influence my mind.
4. I get a fair deal from most • Masculinity-Femininity people.
5. I see, hear, and smell things • Schizophrenia
that no one else knows
6. I like to arrange flowers.
characteristics and clinical conditions
• “Fake Bad” (Malingering)
– Psychological evaluations
– Job screenings
onto ambiguous stimuli
– 10 inkblots
– An “X-ray of the mind?”
– Now, interpretation is
• Problems with validity and
– Devised as a means of measuring needs
– Story is really about yourself
– Results often interpreted using “clinical
– Also has problems with reliability and validity
The Thematic Apperception Test
The emothional stroop test
Implicit Association Test
• Measures whether one responds faster to
a category that combines a topic with
pleasant or unpleasant words
• Can measure unconscious preferences
• Not accurate enough to classify
individuals, but hard to fake results!
sometimes help us profile individuals, such as
– The real life
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"