Last Modified: 2011-06-26
- some is reflected back up
- (< incidence = < reflection)
- some is refracted (bent)
- goes into the next layer and the path of the wave (ray)
- consists of the crust and uppermost mantle
- Mantle peridotite
- low velocity zone at top, extends to = 700 km
- Relatively cool, rigid shell
- mantle peridotite
- extends to outer core
- averages about 100 km in thickness, but may be 250 km or more thick beneath the older portions of the continents
- rigid layer between the depths of 600 km and 2900 km
- the weak sphere
- beneath the lithosphere, in the upper mantle to a depth of about 600 km
- rocks in this layer are very hot and capable of very gradual flow (convection)
- small amount of melting in the upper portion mechanically detaches the lithosphere from the layer below allowing the lithosphere to move independently of the _____sphere
- uranium (U)
- thorium (TH)
- potassium (K)
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"