· Independent auditors or certified public accountants (CPAs)
o They are not employees of the entity being audited
· May practice as a sole proprietor or as a member of a CPA firm
· Audit FS for publicly traded and private companies, partnerships, municipalities, individuals, etc
· Employees of individual companies, partnerships, government agencies, other entities
· Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) is the primary organization supporting internal auditors
o Developed a set of standards to be followed by internal auditors and est certification program to become certified internal auditor (CIA)
· Conduct financial, internal control, compliance, operational, forensic audits w/in their org.
-Employed by federal, state, local agencies --> subset of broader category of internal auditors
o Government Accountability Office (GAO) and Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
o Other agencies include Defense Contract Audit Agency, Army Audit Agency, and FBI
· Employed by corps, govt agencies, public acct firms, consulting and investigative services firms
· Trained in detecting, investigating, deterring fraud and white-collar crime
-internal control audits
Sign up for free and study better.
Get started today!