- University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Chemistry 102
- Chemical Bonds
Last Modified: 2011-07-04
- Tells us "charge" on atom in molecule or polyatomic ion if bonding e- equally shared between ions
- Formal charge = group number - [# lone paire e- + 1/2 (# bonding e-)]
- Assumes e- shared equally between e-
- Write skeletal structure (atom with lowest EA in center)
- Count # valence e-
- Draw bonds between central and surrounding atoms
- Place lone e- around terminal atoms (make octets)
- Add remaining e- to central atom
- Central atom have octet?
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"