Criminology The Core Chapter 6 Study Guide
- Oklahoma City Community College
- Sociology 1113
- Criminology The Core Chapter 6 Study Guide
Last Modified: 2013-10-09
- fatalism: fated to be poor
- create institutions to provide what gov. doesnt
- branch of social structure theory that sees crime as a function of the conflict between people's goals and the means available
- the anger, frustration, and resentment experienced by people who believe they cannot achieve their goals through legitimate means
-Combines elements of both strain and social disorganization
-Because of strain and social isolation, a unique lower-class culture develops in disorganized neighborhoods
-These independent subcultures maintain a unique set of values and beliefs that are in conflict with conventional social norms
-comparing our own outcomes to those of others
- 1955 Delinquent Boys: the culture of the gang
- Status frustration - strain, solution= gang (delinquent subculture)
- Crime not rational means to desired end (distinct way of life)
- Delinquent/ rebel = folk devil of the time
- Building on Merton, but distinct from
- Gangs have 5 particular characteristics
- Corner Boy
- "I give up", marginal delinquency
- College Boy
- embracing cultures of middle class
- Delinquent Boy
- rebelling against middle class values
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"