the relationship between the dancer on and off stage
- cross dressing on stage was ok but comedy was used
What/ who was the travesty dancer?
- women took the roles that used to be men's, women played sailor boys, hussars, and toreadors who made up “masculine” contingents of the corps de ballet, even as they displaced real men as romantic leads.
-In appropriating the male role, the travesty dancer stripped that role of power.
Men in dance
- only young men were acceptable on stage
- they only were there to frame the women dancers
- men did not want to see other men on the stage
when guys cross dressed and danced women role but included comedy because they were males and not taken seriously
when someone doesn't conform to their own societal gender norms (LGBTQ)