ARGUMENTS FAVORING DUALISM
· Death is the separation of the soul from the body.
· Death is the end of person functioning
· Incompatibility Argument FOR Free Will
1. I have free will.
2. Nothing subject to determinism has free will.
3. All purely physical systems are subject to determinism
4. I am not a purely physical system.
· Incompatibility Argument AGAINST Free Will
. I am a purely physical system
2. All purely physical systems are subject to determinism
3. Nothing subject to determinism has free will.
4. I do not have free will.
· Argument from Religion
o All of the major religions are committed to the idea of an immortal soul, which commits them to some form of substance dualism. So, disbelieving dualism is to consider disbelieving one’s religious heritage.
· Objection 1
o The appeal to religion can only be as good as the scientific credentials of the religion appealed to.
· Objection 2
o Religious beliefs aren’t due to reasoned evaluation of their merits against the alternatives.
o God’s existence as a non-physical being far from settled.
Sign up for free and study better.
Get started today!