1) prenatal period- still in the womb
2) infancy- birth to 1 years old
3)early childhood- 2-6 years old
4)middle childhood- 6 to 12 years old
5) adolescence- 12 to 19 years old
· above the genome”
· network of proteins and tags that turns genes on and off
· it controls genes directly
Why did twin rats look different (one is fat/yellow, the other is skinny/darker) even they share the exact same genes?
· Both have a gene called agooty…in the yellow/fat rat the agooty gene is always switched on and in the darker skinner rat the agooty gene is always turned off.
What is the difference between young twins vs. older twins?
· Young twins share more commonality in gene expression
· Older twins genome is the same, but their epigenome is different
· As you get older, your epigenome changes based on your experiences
Where would the epigenome/epigenetic be placed between nature (gene) and nurture (environment)?
· In between nature and nurture
· Genes play a role in the epigenome, but so does the enviorment…the environment influences the expression of the gene
· Therapy that turns off a gene
· Used it on people with cancer..gave them the gene to turn off the cancer
· It removes the tag that is a cancer cell
· Reactivating genes is letting them know they are the human cells
What do scientists think now about inheritance? What else (other than genetic materials) do they think are transferred to future generation?
· Environmental exposure to parents and grandparents are passed down to generations
· Shown through a famine in a country that influenced grand children
What things will mapping of human epigenome help us understand?
· Can figure out cause of genetic abnormality.
· We can use epigenetic therapy to help cure the disease
What was suprising to you about the video?
· Whatever we do at this moment could be changing our epigenome and could effect our offspring.
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"Alice , Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"Tim , University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"Jennifer , Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"Justin , LSU