1. Aristotle supported the idea of epigenesis, the notion that: (p43) A) prenatal development begins with a new miniature individual already preformed. B) new structures and functions emerge throughout prenatal development. C) prenatal development begins in the center of the body of the new individual. D) Eve was created out of Adam’s rib.
new structures and functions emerge throughout prenatal development
2. Which of the following designs compares the behavior of different groups of children who are different ages? (p34) A) microgenetic design B) cross-sectional design C) landscape design D) longitudinal design
3. Which of the following activities is NOT a core component of effortful attention? (p18) A) exerting effort on tasks B) controlling emotions C) focusing attention D) inhibiting impulses
exerting effort on tasks
4. The “turtle technique” is a method: (p4) A) children were taught to help cope with anger. B) parents can use to teach children to crawl. C) children can use when they are feeling shy. D) teachers were taught to help deal with children who have developmental delays.
children were taught to help cope with anger
5. Neurotransmitters are: (p18) A) the electrical impulses in the brain. B) chemicals involved in communication between brain cells. C) gene defects that produce schizophrenia. D) what early philosophers theorized reflected children's core nature at birth.
chemicals involved in communication between brain cells
6. Which of the following items is NOT one of the four factors Scarr identified as involved in the differences among siblings? (p22) A) sociocultural context B) genes C) children's choice of environments D) treatment by parents and others