Way in which speech sounds form patterns
- Every native speaker unconsciously retains the sound structure of that language
- Determining phonetic sounds that have the most significance
- Explaining how these sounds influence native speaker
smallest unit of sound that affects meaning
- 44 speech sounds in English (not phonetic language)
- Pronunciation practice – rhymes (tan, man, fan)
word or sentence level.
- Word level – modify word’s meaning
- Sentence – vary meaning
- Difficult for ELL to grasp
study of letters and letter combos
- One symbol can represent many phonemes
- Taught and drilled
- First speak and hear before spell
Sign up for free and study better.
Get started today!