To login with Google, please enable popups
Forgot your password?
Don’t have an account? Sign up
To signup with Google, please enable popups
Sign up with Google or Facebook
To sign up you must be 13 or older. Other people won’t see your birthday.
By signing up I agree to StudyBlue's
Already have an account? Log in
- understand why cyclists sometimes rode faster when they raced in groups or pairs than when they rode alone
o Reel in fishing line
§ Reeled in more line in presence of other children
- taking a more scientific data-based approach to the study of psych
o Saw sport as way to demonstrate value of this “new” scientific psychology
§ Studies on reaction and muscle movement times of fencers and runners, as well as transfer of physical training
§ How sport develops character in participants
- devoted a significant portion of career to sport psych---FATHER OF AMERICAN SPORT PSYCHOLOGY***
--initiated one of first coaching schools in America
o Scholarly study of the psychological aspects of sport and motor skill acquisition
o Trained many physical educators who developed sport and exercise science in field of Kinesiology as it is today
- lay groundwork for future study of sport psych
o Created academic disclipline of exercise and sport science
- first to work w/ athletes and teams
o FATHER OF NORTH AMERICAN APPLIED SPORT PSYCHOLOGY***
o Sport psych societies established in North America***
- theorizing on psychological prep for athletic competition focusing on realistic goals, uncompromising effort, optimal emotional arousal, high tolerance for distractions and stress, and self-regulation (Russian guy)
- credit for international development of sports psych
o First president of ISSP
o Iceberg profile of successful elite athlete shows ???? above the mean of the pop., but tension, depression, anger, fatigue, and confusion below the mean of the pop.
Sign up for free and study better. Anytime, anywhere.
Get started today!