· Equal opportunity vs. Individualism
· Constant battle between wanting a free market and constantly being burnt by its ways.
· Social theory advocating the liberty, rights or independent actions of an individual.
Plessey was a black man on a train headed south and was sitting in a white railcar. He refused to give up his seat claiming that by doing so he would be in violation of the 14th Amendment. The supreme court thought differently and came to the conclusion that it was legal to create “separate but equal” systems for blacks and whites.
· 1st Wave of Immigrants came from Western Europe and account for 2/3rds of total immigrants and came during the 1880s
· 2nd Wave of Immigrants came from Eastern Europe and came during the turn of the century (1900s)
The term middle class is still a new thing at this point. These are people who work jobs as farmers, shopkeepers, doctors. Normally the husband goes to work during the day while the wife stays home and cares for the kids. The presence of the wife at home is what defines a particular family as middle class.
Since white collar jobs were denied to African Americans, they worked blue collar jobs that the middle class was no longer working. The existence of this black middle class was primarily in the north and was defined more by their values than their income. Members of the black middle class prided themselves on their values, being sober and celibate.
Sign up for free and study better.
Get started today!