Last Modified: 2011-07-01
Related Textbooks:In Conflict and Order: Understanding Society (12th Edition)
2. we imagine ourselves in another's shoes
3. seeing ourselves as other see us
2. people become deviant as others define them that way
3. the definition and application of norms reflect social inequality
1. integral part of all healthy societies
2. affirms cultural values and norms
3. defines and sustains notions of morality
4. clarifies moral boundaries
5. brings people together
1. deviants tend to be powerless
2. norms, especially laws, reflect interests of the rich/powerful
3. powerful can avoid the label deviant
criminals have common physical characteristics, problem = same features throughout the population
one learns to be a criminal, culture transmitted within group, group norms and values run contrary to society's
those who seek new goals through new means are considered rebellious
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"