Last Modified: 2011-07-13
Related Textbooks:Psychology: From Inquiry to Understanding Plus NEW MyPsychLab with Pearson eText -- Access Card Package (3rd Edition)
panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;
mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 159 0;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;
/* List Definitions */
mso-list-template-ids:1360568468 984073 1639433 1770505 984073 1639433 1770505 984073 1639433 1770505;}
"I feel afraid because I tremble."
"I tremble because I feel afraid."
"The dog makes me tremble AND feel afraid."
"I label my trembling as fear because I appraise the situation as dangerous."
- Narcotics - Pain relief
- Sedatives - "Downers"
- Stimulants - Increased activation in CNS
- Hallucinogens - Distorted perceptions/sensations
- MDMA - Ecstasy
- Males think about sex and initiate sex more often than females.
- Males are more willing to engage in casual sex and have more partners than females.
- Males place more emphasis on youthfulness and attractiveness.
- Females place more emphasis on intelligence and financial prospects.
- Tend to work harder.
- Tend to be more persistent.
- Tend to delay gratification more often than others.
- Verbal reports
- Overt behavior
- Relevant psychological activity
- Appetitive: Eating, drinking, reproducing.
- Defensive: Escape, avoidance, defensive aggression.
- Impulse control system that regulates the first two.
- Repression - Keeping things inside.
- Projection - Attributing one's own thoughts/feelings to another.
- Displacement - Taking anger out on substitute target.
- Reaction Formation - Behaving opposite to one's feelings.
- Regression - Reversion to immature patterns of behavior.
- Rationalization - Creating false, but plausible excuses.
- Identification - Forming real or fake alliances to bolster self-esteem.
- Openness to Experience
- Humans have a strong need to form and maintain stable relationships.
- The same feelings that keep parents emotionally attached to their children may also keep romantic partners bonded.
- Proximity mainenance
- Safe haven
- Secure base - comfort that allows individuals to venture
- Anxious/ambivalent (fear abandonment)
- Avoidant (detached)
- Responsive care -> Secure
- Rejecting care -> Avoidant
- Inconsistent/unpredictable care -> Anxious/Ambivalent
- Longitudinal: One group studied over a long period of time.
- Cross-Sectional: Different groups w/ different ages compared at one time.
- After 41 days, infants can perceive depth.
- One-Word Stage
- Two-Word Stage
- Near Adult Competence
- Nomothetic - Comparison in relation to others. Limited subset of traits.
- Ideographic - Cannot compare across ppl, focus on individual.
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"