Last Modified: 2011-07-07
- socially mediated process - how culture is transmitted to the next generation
- apprentice - guided participation
- zone of proximal development (move at the right speed!)
- genes affect all aspect of human behavior, (social & cognitive!)
- most environmental influences on children raised in the same home are not shared
- a childs development = partly result of genes
- if environment = compatible to w/ gene & genetic influences ^
- newborns cant focus more than 2 ft away
- children see better each year til 8
- many adolescents become nearsighted when eyeball shape changes
- vision is more likely to improve than worsen til age 40
- 10%of people over 90=blind
- cause-illness, trauma, poor nutrition, vit. a deficiency
- symptom in 150+ genetic syndromes
- down s- trisonomy-21 (3 copies of 21st chromosome)
- klinefelter s- xxy gene
- turner s- xo gene
- fragile x s- 1/3 females=some mental deficiency; 33%males=somewhat retarded; 47%males severely retarded. many have autistic symptoms.
- newborns with this will become mentally retarded if they consume phenylanine (found in many foods)
- if a baby is immediately started on a diet with none of that particular amino acid they will be normal
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"