FA MSK Drugs JWM
Last Modified: 2016-03-08
A leukotriene that is a neutrophil chemotactic agent
Leukotrienes that function in bronchoconstriction, vasoconstriction, contraction of smooth muscle, and increase vascular permeability. Zafirlukast and montelukast block them
Zileuton inhibits lipoxygenase
Inhibits platelet aggregation and promotes vasodilation
Decr. plt aggregation, vascular tone, bronchial tone, and uterine tone
- increases bleeding time. No effect on PT, PTT. A type of NSAID
- toxicity = gastric ulceration, hyperventilation, tinnitus (CNVIII). Chronic use can lead to acute renal failure, interstitial nephritis, and upper GI bleeding. Reye's syndrome in children w viral infection
- use: antipyretic, analgesic, anti-inflammatory and Indomethacin is used to close a PDA
- Toxicity = renal damage, fluid retention, aplastic anemia, GI distress, ulcers
- Spares COX-1, which helps maintain the gastric mucosa. THUS, should not have the corrosive effects of other NSAIDs on the gastric lining
Toxicity: increased risk of thrombosis. Sulfa allergy. Less toxicity to GI mucsoa(lower incidence of ulcers, bleeding and NSAIDs)
- Use: antipyretic, analgesic, but lacking anti-inflammatory properties. Used instead of aspirin to prevent Reye's syndrome in children w viral infection. This is not an anti-inflammatory
N-acetylcysteine is antidote - regenerates glutathione
MOA = Inhibit osteoclastic activity; reduce both formation and resorption of hydroxyapatite
Toxicity = Corrosive esophagitis (except zoledronate), nausea, diarrhea, osteonecrosis of the jaw
Inhibits reabsorption of uric acid in PCT (also inhibits secretion of penicillin)
- inhibits xanthine oxidase, decr. conversion of xanthine to uric acid. Also used in lymphoma and leukemia to prevent tumor lysis-associated urate nephropathy. Incr. concentrations of azathiprine and 6-MP (both normally metabolized by xanthine oxidase)
Inhibits xanthine oxidase
GI side effects, especially if given orally. (Note: indomethacin is less toxic; also used in acute gout)
- use: rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, ankylosing spondylitis
- notes: think etanerCEPT is a TNF decoy reCEPTor
- Use: Crohn's dz, rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis
- rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, ankylosing spondylitis
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"