Fatty Acid Degredation
Last Modified: 2016-03-08
they are bound to albumin
they are sent to tissues for beta-oxidation
red blood cells, because they lack mitochondria
the brain because FFAs cannot cross blood brain barrier
- fatty acid activation by fatty acyl CoA Synthetase
- transport across the mitochondrial membrane
Fatty acid + CoA + ATP <-->
acyl-CoA + AMP + PPi
carboxylate group attacks the phosphate closest to adenosine on ATP, breaking off two phosphates.
This yields acyladenylate mixed anhydride. (thioester bond)
CoASH is added and creates acyl-CoA and AMP
- Carnitine palmitoyltransferase I (CPT I)
- Carnitine-acylcarnitine translocase
- Carnitine palmitoyltransferase II (CPT II)
maintains malonyl-CoA pools
fatty acyl CoA
--[acyl-CoA dehydrogenase (AD)]-->
fatty acyl-CoA and acetyl-CoA
palmitoyl CoA + 7CoA + 7FAD + 7NAD + 7H2O
8 acetyl-CoA + 7FADH2 + 7NADH + 7H+
what are the two problems cause by unsaturated fatty acids
1) the creation of a double bond btwn C3 and C4 (instead of C2-C3 needed for enoyl CoA hydratase)
2) (for linoleic acid beta oxidation) 2,4-dienoyl is created, which has a C4-C5 double bond and a C2-C3 double bond.
lipase is activated
stimulates the lipolysis of storage fat.
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"