Final Exam - Ch. 9 & 10
Last Modified: 2011-07-20
Related Textbooks:Cognition (5th Edition)
- Identity- using the same word
- I saw a dog outside. The dog was digging in my yard.
- Synonymy-using a synonym
- i saw a dog outside. The mutt was digging in my yard.
- Pronoun-using a pronoun
- I was a dog outside. It was digging in my yard.
- Advantage of 1st mention-characters/ideas mentioned 1st retain a special sig.
- more pronounced when character is mentioned by proper name (e.g.; Jim) that when unnamed (e.g.; The janitor cleaned Beth's office.)
- Advantage of clause recency-later mentioned items also show an advantage briefly, but it fades quickly
- Definite articles convey given info (something we already know or has already been mentioned)
- Definite articles make sentences more coherent and sensible
- We can more easily map later info onto what was mentioned previously
- comp is a search for meaning
- we do activate semantic/episodic memories
- but we also actively build a mental model in order to understand the causal nature of what is being described in a text
- intentionality (goals)
- Relevance: make contribution relevant/related to topic
- quantity: be as informative as required, but no more so
- Quality: Be truthful/accurate (do not mislead, exaggerate)
- Manner and Tone: Be clear; avoid obscurity, ambigutiy, =vagueness; be breif; be polit; don't interrupt
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"