final exam flashcards
- University of Wisconsin - Madison
- Political Science
- Political Science 104
- final exam flashcards
Last Modified: 2011-07-02
Related Textbooks:American Government: Power and Purpose, Tenth Full Edition
-Private income is not adequate to cover social needs.
- Provate market for social isnuracne is also not transparent, leading to adverse selection and moral hazard.
- Size of the program gives government negotiating leverage (Medicaid).
- Quality control/improvement
- Competent (effective in carrying out assigned tasks)
- Responsive (remains accountable to public and political changes).
- Increased responsiveness means decreased nurtality and competence
- INcreased nutrality means decreased responsiveness, and acocuntability
- Who should the bureaucracy be accountable to? congress or the president? or the public directly?
Example: flu shots
- Maximize by thinking of the ideal image of what you want
- Satisfice by choosing something that fits the general idea of what you are looking for
- Political appointees (loyal to president)
- Congressional oversight/budget
- Administrative process controls (public comment, judicial review standards)
- Ongoing tension between nutrality and responsiveness.
Government does not bear costs in the private sectors.
Example: pollution control, the minimum wage.
Insterstate commerce commission, sherman antitrust act, and the pure food and drug act
Inaccurate rating of mortgage backed securaties, which disguised the level of risk
Declining home prices, which means forclosures rather than flips.
it controls the amount of currency in circulation and the reserves of banks, through bying and selling of governmernt securities. It also determines interest rates.
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"