Final Review: Biofilms
- Case Western Reserve University
- Dentistry Perio
- Final Review: Biofilms
Last Modified: 2011-07-10
- health- describe gingiva
- Describe gingiva: 2-3 mm, pink gums, no bleeding, xray: bone near CEJ
- process- Saliva, adherance molecules, polysac, thickens; on dorsum of tongue, papilla, teeth
- basics- Bac- gram pos; Shapes- coccus
- charac- non-motile, aerobic
- location- supragingival
- Gingiva- Sulcus 3-4mm, tissue inflamed, red, bleeds upon probing; xray: no bone resorption
- Process- Film thicker and thicker, new bac adhesion, plaque has formed (sticky), 3 days-->hardened calculus
- basics- add gram neg; Shapes: Coccus, bacillus too, spirochetes
- charac- more virulent; motile, anaerobic, can hold on; irritant (promotes disease from calculus), no polysac cuz no O2, live as community, from supragingival colonizers' metab biproducts
- Location: supragingival and subgingival
- Gingiva- Sulcus 5-6mm, "Red rolled"?, fibrotic appeearance?, suppuration?; xray: resorption >2mm below CEJ line
Process- asacrolytic, moving apically
- Basics- more gram neg; shapes: bacillus, fusiform (elongated like centipede), spirochaete (spiral-shaped, long flagella, highly motile)
- Charac- virulent factors: fimbrae/pili (connect the diff bac intercellularly) lead to glycocalyx capsule (prevents antiobiotics/antibac/ mouthwashes from entering), req mechanical removal; spirochaetes (flagella allow deep attachment), totally anaerobic, totally community living, very motile, no sugar (asacrolytic), at bottom of pocket; endotoxin or LPS layer- starts inflammatory response
- Location- more subgingivally
- Red complex (3): P gingivalis, T denticola, T forsythia;
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"