- Central Michigan University
- Communicative Disorders
- Communicative Disorders 230
Last Modified: 2012-05-01
Related Textbooks:Introduction to Communicative Disorders
- more often on first syllable/word of breath group.
- More often with consonants
- longer words
- less frequently used words.
- Motor behaviors that accompany stuttering (rocking back and forth,closed eyes,twitching)
- Avoidance behaviors
- read something
- must get all three to diagnosis a person with stuttering
- 75% risk of onset before age 3
- 70% chance of recovery within 3-6months
- 52% of children showed at least one secondary bhavior
- 1% of population
- 4% of school age children
- 4:1 males to females
- Genetic factors (Predispose a person to stutter
- Environmental Factors (Create Situation in which demand on communication exceeds capacity to respond at that time)
- to be a more effective communicator
- to view him/herself as a more effective communicator
- to enjoy the communication experience
- Teaching fluent stuttering
- Goal is to reduce the severity and learning to live with stuttering
- More controlled disfluencies
- Less severe, more relaxed, and less "atypical" stuttering
- use pull outs
- must include counseling
- teaching fluent speech
- normal sounding fluency is the goal
- try to alter the manner of speech production so that the environment for stuttering cannot occur
- modified airflow,gentle initiation of sound,slower rate of speech,soft contact of articular.
- teach monitoring strategies
- reducing rate of speech
- teach organizational strategies
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"