1. (Sun-Tzu) What is basis of all warfare? Why is this tactic pervasive in marketing?
Deception. Everything has a risk, marketing tries to hide that risk
2. (Sun-Tzu) What are the two military "virtues" which are not appropriate for governing a state? How are these virtues relevant to marketing?
Hobbling - Making an order without knowing the circumstances. Making direct orders.
Being to close to the army to make rational decisions.
3. Sun-Tzu discusses the use of both direct and indirect methods in warfare. Give examples of direct and indirect methods used in marketing.
Indirect is like products shown in movies, direct is a commercial
4. What are the marketing two stories which Cicero tells?
The story of the grain sells man going to the island selling his grain at a higher price when he knows there is more boats of grain on their way to the island. And the selling of the house not telling the defects of it.
5. (Cicero) What are the opposing arguments?
Cicero says "buyer beware" while his opponent Diogenes says that there should be complete honesty in the market place.
6. In each case, which side does Cicero take and why?
He is always on the marketing side. "buyer beware" claiming it is okay to not reveal up front, but let the customer inspect and my their own decision.