GGEOG Chapter 3
Last Modified: 2011-07-16
Related Textbooks:Human Geography: Landscapes of Human Activities
i.e. freight shipment, commuting, shopping trips, telecommunications, electronic cash transfers, migration, vacation travel
- intervening opportunity
Is a function of three interrelated conditions:
- the characteristics and value of the product
- the distance, measured in time and money penalties, over which it must be moved
- the ability of the commodity to bear the costs of movement
Generally the greater the distance, the great the "friction" an the less the interaction or exchange, or the greater the cost of achieving the exchange.
Big things have a stronger attraction force than do small objects and that things close to each other have stronger mutual attraction than do objects at greater distance
states that two cities will attract trade from intermediate locales in direct proportion to the populations of the two cities and i inverse proportion to the square of the distance of these two cities to the intermediate place.
- stage in life course (age)
- means of mobility at their command
- demands or opportunities implicit in their daily activities
- individual (person-to-person)
- exchanges and mass (source-to-area)
actions and decisions are based on place perception
- most migrants go only a short distance
- longer-distance migration favors big city destinations
- most migration proceeds step-by-step
- most migration is from rural to urban
- each migration flows produce a counterflow
- most migrants are adults; families are less likely to make international move
- most international migrants are young males
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"