Government Test #2
Last Modified: 2013-10-30
1. The Era of Good Feelings was characterized by
Recieving fewer popular votes than Al Gore
1. Campaign finance laws are challenged as a violation of the ________ Amendment.
1. ________ make sure that people in government know what their members want and that their organizations know what the government is doing.
1. Recently anti-immigration groups have taken to holding public protests on April 15, the day taxes are due, to emphasize economic consequences of illegal immigration. Your textbook might describe this as an example of
1. The most common form of grassroots lobbying involves
1. Interest groups that lobby for poor people often gain key financial support from
formed only for the purpose of lobbying on a single issue.
not face candidates vetted by political parties for their quality.
probably confront more candidates from which to choose.
be more unpredictable in their voting choices.
face more pressure to vote on the basis of personal friendships, celebrity status, or name recognition.
1. What is ticket splitting?
1. What most distinguishes political parties from interest groups like the AFL-CIO and the National Association of Manufacturers is that
1. Since the present two-party system was established, how many minor-party candidates have been elected to the presidency?
1. Which of the following arguments has not been raised as a defense of the electoral college?
a majority of the public opposing health-care reform in 2010.
cutting its budget.
altering a key program.
holding up the confirmation of nominees.
The Era of Good Feelings was characterized by
appointing administrators sympathetic to their policy goals.
requiring agencies to submit draft regulations to a White House office.
A dispute over floor debate procedure in the House would be settled bythe House Ways and Means Committee
A president who comes to Washington with a clear set of predetermined goals and pursues them unbendingly will probably
a. Growth in the responsibilities of government
It takes a _________ vote of Congress to overturn a presidential veto.
According to Max Weber ideal bureaucracies should have all of the following
Decentralized organizational structure
Meetings in which legislation is debated and amended are called _________
Before the 2012 election, about __________ of Congress were millionaires.
In the congressional setting, casework refers to
members helping constituents with problems.
The rules that govern floor debate in the House of Representatives
are a tool the majority party uses to help it control the legislative process.
An underlying assumption of the concept of descriptive representation is that
minorities can be effectively represented only by people of their own kind.
In 2006, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that President Bush’s unilaterally
established military commissions to try alleged enemy combatants captured in
Afghanistan and Iraq were
When President Lincoln instituted a blockade of southern ports, thereby
committing an act of war, he did so
by claiming inherent powers to preserve the Union.
Which president issued an executive order to end racial segregation in the armed
The most controversial expansion of the president’s power, in attempting to set
the nation’s policy agenda, has come through the
The purpose of the Pendleton Act of 1883 was to
reduce patronage by creating a civil service.
Presidential appointees in the executive branch fill the top policymaking positions
in government, and some 1000 of them require
The U.S. Postal Service and Amtrak are examples of
Something of value that cannot be withheld from a non-group member is a
Each state has one vote in the electoral college for
The New Hampshire presidential primary gathers the lion’s share of political and
media attention because
the New Hampshire primary is the first one to occur each election year.
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"