Last Modified: 2011-06-27
Related Textbooks:A Primer of GIS: Fundamental Geographic and Cartographic Concepts
- Plane rectangular grid systems
- Cartesian coordinate systems
- Covers Earth's surface between 80 degrees South and 84 degrees North.
- Universal Polar Stereographic (UPS) is used for the polar caps.
- UTM establishes 60 NS zones, each 6 degrees of longitude wide.
- Distances are measured in
- meters .
- Civilian System
- False origin
- Universal Transverse Mercator System (UTM)
- State Plane Coordinate System
- 500,000 meters west of the central meridian of each UTM zone
- In the Norhtern Hemisphere, the false origin is located on the equator
- In the Southern Hemisphere, the false origin is located 10,000,000 meters south of the equator
- Notation (easting (in meters), northing (in meters); zone, hemisphere) ex. 305,904 - 4,771,651; 16, N
- Applied individually to each of the United States
- False Easing/False Northing
- Measured in
- feet .
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"