H & N - neck organs
Last Modified: 2016-03-08
- stylopharyngeus - innervated by CN IX
- palatopharyngeus - inn. by CN X
- salpingopharyngeus - inn. by CN X
- upper part
- ascending pharyngeal a.
- lower part
- superior and inferior thyroid aa.
- pharyngeal plexus
- which drains to pterygoid plexus, sup./ inf. thyroid vv. , facial v, or internal jugular
- superior - base of skull
- inferior - upper surface of soft palate
- superior - uvula (soft palate)
- inferior- root of tongue (post. 1/3)
- superior - upper border of epiglottis
- inferior - lower border of cricoid cartilage
- thyroid cartilage
- thryrohyoid membrane (ligament) - unties thryoid cart. w/ hyoid bone above
- cricothryoid ligament- unties thyroid cartilage w/ cricoid cartilage below
- cricoid cartilage- full ring
- arytenoid cartilages (2) - movable, attaches to vocal cords (folds)
- aryepiglottic fold/ quadrangular membrane - the membrane supports the fold, which separates piriform recess from entrance into larynx
- epiglottic cartilage - projects upward in pharynx, covered by mucous membrane
- aditus - entrance
- vestibule - from aditus to vestibular folds
- ventricle - b/t vestibular folds and vocal folds
- infraglottic cavity - below vocal folds to lower border of cricoid cartilage
- glottis - vocal folds + rima glottis (which is slit b/t vocal folds)
- rima vestibuli - slit b/t vestibular folds (false vocal cords)
- vocal folds - project medial/upward
- cricothyroid m. = only extrinsic mm. of larynx, innervated by branch of superior laryngeal n.
- the superior laryngeal otherwise conveys sensory & parasymp. fibers to larynx)
- the recurrent laryngeal n. innervates the remaining mm.
- inferior laryngeal a. (from inferior thyroid a.)
- superior laryngeal a. (from superior thyroid a.)
- superior and inferior laryngeal vv.
- originates at level of C6 as continuation of cricoid cartilage
- anterior to esophagus
- divides at T4 into R/L primary bronchi
- originates at level of C6 (same as trachea)
- posterior to cricoid cartilage (trachea is continuation of cricoid cart.)
- below laryngopharynx
- enclosed in pretracheal fascia
- enters abdomen at T10
- posterior to trachea in the neck
- below T4 - lies on or left of vertebral column
- endocrine gland
- anterior in neck - in pretracheal layer of cervical fascia
- deep to infrahyoid mm.
- H shape - 2 lateral lobes connected by isthmus
- isthmus crosses rings 2-4
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"