Last Modified: 2016-03-08
- Scholar invited by the FSI; taught ICC skills to foreign service personnel
- Pioneer of cultural studies using an interpretive approach (ethnography)
- "Founding father" of IC
- Information is explicitly stated in the verbal message, which must be highly specific and clearly elaborated.
- Members can miss a lot of the nonverbal information while focusing on the verbal messages.
- Information is gleaned from the environment, the context, the situation, and from nonverbal cues.
- Members tune in to and utilize context, and expect others to be perceptive of contextual cues
- All cultures rely on context to some degree!
- Although people are influenced by their culture, their norms, etc, their personal factors (personality, etc) can override those factors.
- Communication/ behavior level (although influenced by the stuff down deeper)
- Refer to status more
- Take more care in dress "properly"
- Compliment or scold without speaking
- Learn as much as you can about culture.
- Ask questions
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"