Last Modified: 2011-05-07
- US v. Soviet Union
- used to be allies
- Post World War II
- Term coined by Winston Churchill
- To describe the Cold War divide between western Europe and the Soviet Union's Eastern European satellites
- US strategy in the Cold War that called for containing Soviet expansion
- Trumans response to Soviet occupation of Eastern Europe
- President Harry S. Truman's program of post World War II aid to European countries in danger of being undermined by communism
- particularly Greece and Turkey
- Marked the beginning of a contest that people began to call the Cold War
- US program for the reconstruction of post World War II Europe through massive aid to former enemy nations as well as allies; PROMOTE EUROPEAN ECONOMIC RECOVERY
- Proposed by General George Marshall in 1947
- The Communist seizure of power in Prague -- reason congressed passed
- Created a National Military Establishment
- Headed by the secretary of defense
- The act made permanent the Joint Chiefs of Staff, a wartime innovation, and established the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) to coordinate global intelligence gathering
- Defensive alliance founded in 1949 by ten western European nations, the US, an Canada, to deter Soviet expansion in Europe
- North Atlantic Treaty pledged that an attack against any one of the members would be considered an attack against all.
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization would govern the alliance
- Warsaw Treaty Organization appeared as the Eastern European counterpoint to NATO
- After a Communist government came to power in CHina (1949) Korea became a "hot spot"
- divided at the 38th parallel after World War II
- Communist - North
- Western--style - South
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"