- University of Tennessee - Knoxville
- Political Science
- Political Science 101
- Interest Groups
Last Modified: 2011-07-06
Related Textbooks:America at Odds
- between 30-50 thousand
- 200,000+ in other states
List some interest groups...
(I listed 5 but there are more on notes on blackboard)
- Business firms ( for profit enterprises)
- Trade associations (group of buisnesses)
- Professional Associations (groups of professionals)
- Citizen Groups (organizations anyone can join)
- Labor Union (groups constituted for collective bargaining)
- Charities (organizations formed to help people in need)
Institutions dominate representation in interest groups over political organizations..
- Direct Lobbying
- Indirect Lobbying
- Monetary Lobbying
Involves personal meetings with legislators, their staff, and bureaucrats
Effective b/c the people will in turn petition their gov't official
An interest group will collect money and then give it to the candidate that will help them out...
It buys TIME...time to speak with legislation, present bills, etc. TIME so that they will listen to you
- Specialist v. Generalist
- Public Office
- Technical Matters
- Matters to which the public and media pay no attention to
- Small things
- Non-partisan and non-ideological issues
- Buying Votes (says it does not really happen b/c people won't actually "sell" their vote)
- Thought to be undemocratic (Media makes it to be more scandalous than it really is)
- The "Revolving Door"
- Previous Scandals
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"