Mental Processes, or “The Mind”
A) Sensation of the World (receptors)
Vision, Audition, Somatosensation, Taste, Smell
B) Perception of the World (interpret)- difference between sensation and perception
C) Thoughts about the World- Mental Processes without sensory info
Motor Eating/Drinking Sleeping
The mind exists independently of the brain, the two are of different substances (brain = physical, mind = metaphysical).
The mind is the brain. Mind and brain are two ways of talking about the same thing. In theory, all mental experiences and behaviors can be explained in terms of physical processes in the brain/body.
Pysiological Psycholgy Definition and Pat Churchland's take on physiological psychology
MONISM: “the mind is the brain”...
but that doesn’t make the mind any less miraculous.
Reasons for Animal Research
1) Start simple. Example: Aplysia, to study learning and memory
2) Highlighted Mental Process or Behavior. Example: olfaction in rats
3) Interest for its own sake. Example: echolocation in bats
4) Elucidate human evolution
5) When using animals is the only way to address the question.
6) Medical relevance -> save human lives.
- Strict guidelines exist for the use of animals
- Animal research is justified if the benefits of the results are greater than whatever suffering the animal might experience.
"The semester I found StudyBlue, I went from a 2.8 to a 3.8, and graduated with honors!"Jennifer Colorado School of Mines