Lecture Notes for Mar 5, 2009
- University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire
- Geography 104
- Lecture Notes for Mar 5, 2009
- Global Scale
- Interconnected (refer to drawing)
- GROUND WATER
- SURFACE WATER
- interconnections between systems lead to cycles
- WHAT (description)
- WHERE (map)
- WHY (controls and processes)
- CORE & PERIPHERIES
- big themes in Physical Geography
- WHAT IS IT?
- UNIQUE PROPERTIES OF WATER
- COMMON IN ALL THREE PHASES OF MATTER
- LATENT HEAT EXCHANGE WITH PHASE CHANGES
- HIGH SPECIFIC HEAT
- UNIVERSAL SOLVENT
- CHEMICAL CATALYST
- dipolar (weak charge imbalance)
- It's essential to life
- #1 geomorphic (Earth-formation) on Earth
- Major control on the Earth-Sun Energy Balance
- Major control on weather and climate
- Huge role in all Natural Regions (diagram next page)
- SCIENTIFIC APPROACH
- GEOGRAPHIC APPROACH
- FLUXES (movement, flow)
- CHANGE OVER TIME
- WHAT DO THEY HAVE IN COMMON?
- plants and animals
- Geographers look for spatial patterns.
- NOTHING IS EVENLY DISTRIBUTED ACROSS EARTH'S SURFACE.
- Map it to understand it
- Example of how it works:
- Other places to store water:
- evaporation (from ocean)
- rain (to land --> rivers)
- WHAT is it?
- WHERE is it?
- WHY is it where it is?
- climate regions
- biomes (communities)
- soil regions
- =HYDROLOGICAL CYCLE
- Open Systems
- inputs from other systems
- storage facilities in other systems
- output matter and energy to other systems
- it is a compound (H2O)
- NATURAL REGIONS: "an area homogeneous with respect to defined criteria"
- store and/or transform
- EARTH SYSTEMS
- CYLCES OF MATTER AND ENERGY
- PATTERNS (natural regions)
- WATER AND THE HYDROLOGICAL CYCLE
- big themes in science:
- rivers, lakes, glaciers, oceans, ponds, streams...
- Why do rivers never cease flowing to the sea?
- If they never cease flowing to the sea, why doesn't the ocean keep on rising?
- therefore, interconnected
- patterns reflected in Natural Regions
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"