What is the major difference between posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and acute stress disorder?
Estimates are that up to 60% of people at risk develop PTSD.
· Posttraumatic stress disorder
· Adjustment disorder
· Reactive attachment disorder
· Dissociative disorder
· Reexperiencing the trauma through dreams or recurrent and intrusive thoughts
· Emotional numbing such as feeling detached from others
· Being on guard, irritable, or experiencing hyperarousal
· Being a survivor of a tsunami that resulted in thousands of deaths
· Being a marine in a combat situation where the entire platoon was wiped out except for one person
· Being hidden in a closet and hearing the entire family murdered by someone who broke into the home
· Watching televised segments of the moment when the plane hit the second tower on 9/11
Sign up for free and study better.
Get started today!