MICRO 170 Study Guide (2014-15 Lutkus)
- Coastal Carolina Community College
- Microbiology 170
- MICRO 170 Study Guide (2014-15 Lutkus)
Last Modified: 2014-11-02
Bacterial genetics is concerned w/ natural processes that transfer genetic info.
- Silent - no effect
- Harmful - promotes death/cancer
- Helpful-effects promote life
- Both- Sickle cell disease
Takes advantage of naturally occurring genetic recombination
- Restriction enzymes used to cut open a plasmid
- Ligase enzymes used to insert gene into plasmid
- Altered plasmid enters bacterium
- Bacterium uses gene to form mRNA ---> Ribosomes ---> New Protein
- Protein is extracted from medium
Examples: insulin (humulin), growth hormone, interferon, clotting factor VIII, pseudomonas (oil digesting bacteria developed by GE).
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"